Sunday, August 20, 2006

One Morning

I was about to leave for work when my aunt called and wishes to speak with me. Before we begin to start our conversation she told me not to tell my mother about this phone call. Curious I was but never thought of asking why.

She was asking for some help and I honestly said yes without knowing the type of assistance that she needed. Again she ask and this time she sad “Can I borrow RM200 from you and I promise to pay you back afterwards.”.

With an instant I said yes but I also inform her that I could only lend it after my payday. So I gave her my hand phone number and asked for the account number to be sent to me via sms. She sound worried and speaks again “You don’t mind all this?”. “Yeah I don’t and don’t worry about it. Anyway I got to go to work now. SMS me if there is anything. Bye.”

~

My aunt’s family consists of six members, her husband, three daughters and a boy. My uncle is a bus driver whereas my aunt works as support staff in a company. Unfortunately among her children, she has a down-syndrome child which is one of the girls. Due to income of parents, the family is never in the category of rich nor middle class. Previous Hari Raya’s, the family seldom came back to my grandparent’s house and I can understand why.

Imagine if you are poor, being Hari Raya, all the small kids will certainly ask from you an angpau, how would you feel that time? My other uncles and aunties have tried to explain to their children but somehow they are not mature enough to understand.

Nevertheless we are not that cruel, my aunt’s children still do get their Hari Raya angpau but through my mom or my other aunt who stays in KL. On the way back to my own hometown, we would have a side trip to her house and give the angpaus to the kids. Sometimes we even gave her some sort of contribution such as cash, clothes, rice and etc.

~

Alright, RM200 sounds a bit small to some but being the current family supporter at a rate of 70%, it does mean something to me. However being the eldest among cousins, a sacrifice has to be made and my mom shall never know of all this.

No comments: