Monday, August 14, 2006

Tok Ngah

Saturday, 12 August 2006, I and siblings still lying on our beds not wanting to wake up when dad came in the room to inform us the bad news. Tok Ngah has passed away that morning and we are going back Teluk Intan, Perak to pay our last respects. Woke up with a splitting headache (slept late), took my bath, wore proper clothes, ate McEgg (mmm McD's) and off we go to my dad's hometown.The journey was suppose to be less than two hours but the big lorries and trucks plus uneven roads made it longer.

Arrived at our destination an hour before lunch time and was greeted by Tok Ngah's son-in-law, Uncle Law who directed us to his house where Tok Ngah lies peacefully on his bed with relatives surrounded him. Mom consoled Tok Ngah's daughter while me and my siblings sat and read the Yaasin quietly.

It was a very hot day for Teluk Intan with no clouds in the sky and continuous consumption of bottled mineral water which was kindly provided by Uncle Law and family. As time passed by, more and more relatives came and paid their last respects from the Kushairi Clan, Yang Clan, Tok Ngah's children & grand kids,Tok Ngah's siblings & friends and lastly those who knew him well.

Heard that Tok Ngah will be buried after Asar prayers, time was around 2.45 pm, so me and my family went to a famous food stall (for its mee rebus) for lunch. The stall was offering limited food (I can only see rojak, mee rebus and chicken rice) and served made drinks (no bottled or even boxed drinks). Ordered a plate of chicken rice (mmmm favourite), ABC (Air Batu Campur) and a glass of cold water. Being sooo hungry (hey McEgg ain't enough for me), ate chicken rice just with my bare hands (of course I washed it first) and found it quite tasty. So with no shame, I ordered another plate and indulged myself a delicious meal with the chicken served quite bigger than the previous plate. Knowing my taste in identifying a good chicken rice, mom brought ten packs to be taken away and be put in Tok Ngah's house incase anyone had not eaten lunch.

An hour after I had my lunch, Tok Ngah's body was given a proper cleansing before he is covered in white cloth (kain kapan). All this while I thought a proper cleansing suppose to be in a secluded area however it happened in an opposite way that day. Yes the body and those who were involved was shielded with white cloths acting as a temporary wall at every side but somehow there are those who insisted to take a peek. I figured it will stop there but even during the wrapping process was done quite openly. Hopefully the decision made by Tok Ngah's family was agreeable by all of its members.

Afterwards the body was placed in a casket to be brought to the nearby mosque for solat jenazah after Asar. The prayer style was totally different than the five times per day method with everyone standing close following the imam's actions. When everyone was reading the doa, an old man (Tok Ngah's family friend) gave everyone who prayed for Tok Ngah an angpau which I did not accept and do not how much was in it. The body later on was driven to the familiar graveyard where my late grandfather & grandmother rest in peace.

I helped everyone to carry out the casket from the van to the burial hole and Tok Ngah's grandkids (the boys) helped to do the rest.While the graveyard keeper does the final touches, everyone sat down under the afternoon sunlight and read the necessary doa for the deceased. Tok Ngah was safely buried and all of us went back to his house to prepare ourselves for Tahlil that night.

Tahlil ended quite fast and those who came were given an angpau again but this time it is from Uncle Law. To show no disrespect, I accepted it openly with a smile. Everyone had the same meal for dinner with sirap and mineral water for drinks.

Me and my family salamz with everyone and bid farewell before we return back to PJ. On the way back home, I remembered advises given by him on how important is education since his previous occupation was a teacher.

I'm sure going to miss him =(


"May Allah forgive his sins, widens his resting place like the gardens in Heaven and be placed among those who are piety in the eyes of Allah when akhirat comes. Amin."

No comments: